Tuesday

anatomy of a layout

I like to work on layouts over time vs. at one sitting and I get great pleasure from the slow thoughtful evolution of the work. For me scrapbooking is a creative outlet first documentation for future generations second. So when I start a layout it begins with a photo........




I always start with a photo or photos and a decision of what the layout message will be. Whether my purpose is to capture a moment in time or to encourage introspection. A Basic Story.....


I next select cardstock & patterned papers which help determine the color scheme. This can take some time and I usually set everything on a table and just let them be a while. I like to come back to it several times to see it with fresh eyes while I select the remaining elements. I go through my stash by different categories i.e. journal cards, flowers, ribbons or tapes, metal, chipboard, words, alphabets and keep gathering everything on the table......



The process of positioning elements on my layout is purely playing around until I like it. (I use repositionable tape) I edit the large stash compiled and simply move things around until I am happy with the composition. I work a title into the design while adding embellishments & plan my journal element. Sometimes I start a layout with specific journaling in mind but most often it developes over time.







Remember, this is mostly for pleasure so I just keep going until I get the "I like it" feeling. I usually display it a few days just in case I find one last little detail to add ........

No comments: