Friday

Katie 1, Dad & Home

This is a rare photo of Katie 1 - my Dads best buddy. I think this picture perfectly reflects their relationship; pretty much inseperable. She was an awesome dog that after dads passing, became Mels companion. This photo also brings back many memories of sitting on lawn chairs in front of the garage doing such things as snap beans, gather flowers to dry, eat ice cream, have watermelon seed spitting contests, or to just take in the country smells while visiting with family or friends. I can close my eyes and see with clear memory that view, even as it changed over the years and homes would replace fields of tall grass. When James was a baby and I was a stay at home princess, we would go down to Ridgefield (where I grew up) as soon as Mel got done with her softball season. We would enjoy a couple of weeks during August having fun with Grandma & Grandpa. Days would be filled with canning pickles & tomatoes, swimming, helping in the garden, and visiting with friends. It was a magical time with the kids enjoying such simple pleasures, so different than our experience in Kirkland. These days have supplied me with my favorite Mom memories too. I really did enjoy learning about canning produce and I became a sponge for her gardening knowledge. Any way happy happy happy days....



August & September remain my favorite time of year and I spend a lot of time here........



Note the cucumber price for last year. This year I paid $1.99 a pound. That's right. Double.




I love the colorful hand written signs that you just don't see in grocery chains anymore. What a shame. Love the outdoor aspect of this place too. Just Love everything about it and have been shopping here since James was a toddler and would push his own mini cart around.

And the tradition I am trying hard to pass on is ...........


This batch is now gone and boy were they good, crisp and HOT! I hope this years turn out as good.....





When I was down visiting Mel and Sarina last month, we roamed Oakland/Berkeley in order to stock up on canning equipment and we made their first batch of Gma's pickles. Me the usual photo bug was to into teaching (experiencing the moment) and forgot about the great photo opportunity. oh well.... it was still a Perfect day with the girls......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Terri--what beautiful thoughts about your mom and dad! And that great photo ! thanks!
I haven't made pickles this year but have done tomato sauce and am drying pears and peaches. Nikhil is a big fan of Grandma's pickles and they are your mom's with just a bit less spice!